Note: My Web pages are best viewed with style sheets enabled.
In the fall of 2008, I examined 20 HTML-formatted E-mail messages. From this study, I concluded that the average bloat factor was 3.4 and that HTML-formatted messages contained an average of 9.1 HTML errors per KB of file size.
Early in 2010, I decided to repeat this study for several reasons.
I again collected 20 HTML-formatted E-mail messages. This time, the average bloat factor was 4.6 (worse than in 2008); and HTML-formatted messages contained an average of 4.6 HTML errors per KB of file size (only half the ratio in 2008).
After two more years during which E-mail clients might have further evolved, I repeated the 2010 study with a fresh set of 20 HTML-formatted messages collected during January 2012. Unlike the 2010 study, however, I did not collect data on what E-mail clients were used; in 2010, half the messages failed to indicate any client while in 2012 that grew to three-fourths of the message not indicating any client, preventing any use of client identifications.
I stored each message twice. I excluded any attachments (which, for HTML-formatted messages, means excluding any images or background), links to attachments, the section for marking a message as spam (added by my ISP's mail server), and the header section of each message. First, I stored the readable content from the first line to the end of the message into an ASCII file. Then, I stored the raw message from the <x-html> tag to the </x-html> tag (excluding those tags) into an HTML file.
I recorded the sizes of each file in a spread sheet — the first file as ASCII and the second as HTML. Dividing the total of the HTML sizes by the total of the ASCII sizes gave me the average bloat factor. Because bloat is meaningful in the gross context of many messages — in terms of bandwidth impacts, disc space occupied, etc — this average is based on the total size of all messages versus the total size of the equivalent ASCII-formatted content. If I had averaged the individual bloat factors of each message, the result would have been 4.8, greater than the 4.0 reported under "Findings".
For HTML errors, I used the W3C Markup Validation Service Validate by Direct Input capability. I input the content of an HTML file. If the message's HTML included a <!DOCTYPE> declaration (which is required for Web pages), I selected the "Validate Full Document" option; otherwise, I selected the "Validate HTML fragment" option, specifying HTML 4.01 Transitional (which is the least restrictive HTML 4.01 syntax). I recorded the number of errors on the same spreadsheet. Dividing the number of errors by the HTML size and multiplying by 1,000 gave me the proportion of HTML errors per KB of HTML for each message. Because the impact of HTML errors falls on individual messages, I then took the average of the individual proportions. If I had instead used the total number of errors versus the total HTML sizes, the result would have been 2.6 HTML errors per KB of message size, less than the 5.0 reported under "Findings"; this is because larger messages generally had fewer HTML errors per KB.
|Msg #||ASCII Size||HTML Size||Bloat Factor||HTML Errors||Errors per KB|
Updated 6 February 2012
"Internet" Table of Contents
David Ross home